ASHIWAJU AND HEALTH
Prior to his (ASHIWAJU) assumption into the office of governor in Lagos State in 1999, he constituted a “Transition Working Group” to look into the health situation in the state.
Some of those which constitute a model list of achievements in ASHIWAJU’s dispensation in first quater include:
1) Control of HIV / AIDS primarily via the Lagos State AIDS Control Agency (LSACA)
2) Roll Back Maleria Programme – Free Maleria treatment, distribution of ITNs etc.
3) National Programme on Immunization
4) School health Programme
5) Control of Tuberculosis DOTS regimen.
6) Hospital based 24 hours free emergency services (LASEMS)
7) Pre hospital ambulance service accessed from the 123 emergency hot lines (LASAMBUS)
8) Marine Rescue Unit.
9) Drug Quality Control Laboratory
10) Task Force on Counterfeit, Fake drugs and Unwholesome Processed Foods.
11) Private Hospital Registration Authority
12) Free Health Programme
13) Blindness prevention Programme
14) State Environmental health monitoring Unit
15) Rural health ambulance boat Service.
16) Drug Manufacturing Unit
17) Continuing Medical Examination Programme.
18) Completion of the abandoned hospital projects at Akodo and Igando
19) The Eye Clinic, LASUTH
20) Rehabilitation of two blocks at the Lagos Island Maternity Hospital.
21) Initial Phase of the LASUTH developmental projects.
Source: Book (Promises fulfilled; 8 years of distinctive Service of Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Lagos State.)
Author: Gbenro Akintoye.
Published, March 2008.